Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Flick Picks: Portman & Black Swan


I'm usually against hype. For this reason, I was afraid to see Black Swan. The Natalie Portman lead film by Darren Aronofsky (The Wrestler; Requiem for a Dream) has received a lot of press and amazing reviews, not to mention a huge campaign via word of mouth. It is nominated for a number of Golden Globes and many predict Oscar gold for Portman.
I won't offer a lengthy review of the film but I will suggest it. It really speaks to the struggle in us all. The battle being striving to be perfect and trying to live a free life. Letting go of one's self often finds one treading dangerously close to losing one's self.
The films dance sequences are gorgeous and riveting while the thematic material is something that speaks to its viewers.
Is perfection worth it? Or does the key to perfection actually lie in tapping into something far more imperfect?
Don't miss this one!

1 comment:

elle said...

The Wrestler! Requiem for a Dream! both have been on my list for ages...and both answer my questions abt Aronofsky's body of work (forgot to google last nite) makes total sense!! I'm still in complete awe