Thursday, March 4, 2010

Estelle Gets Freaky

Estelle featuring Kardinal Offishall
Freak [Video Premiere]
Director: Nabil Elderkin



I.love.Estelle.
I love that she is switching it up from her typical urban roots but she still managed to stay true to herself by incorporating some R&B. Freak, the infectious David Guetta produced song also sample Soul II Soul's 90s hit Back to Life. The track is a delicious blend of soul, Baltimore club music, and European dance.
The video is directed by Nabil Elderkin, who also directed Kanye West's music video for Coldest Winter.
I like the fact that Estelle didn't go conventional and sex it up for a song about sex. Of course she has never been a conformist, often going toe to toe with her label about her image in terms of her hair, teeth, etc.

The video sparked a little controversy due to the use of black face painting. Estelle spoke to MTV about the issue:

“I think they need to wait to see the clip. I could defend myself, but it’s just silly. I’m black, so how do I do blackface? Missy did the same thing [with her video] “She’s a Bitch.” I refuse to defend it, I didn’t put any white ring around my mouth — never that.”


1 comment:

blasianFMA said...

......

I....
...

actually enjoyed this a lot.