Sunday, December 6, 2009

Flick Picks: Tom Ford's "A Single Man"



"What I really want to do is direct..."
That phrase has left a bad taste in many mouths in Hollywood. Imagine the surprise when iconic fashion designer Tom Ford decided he was going to direct a film. Imagine the bigger surprise when the film turned out to actually be a good film and even bait for awards season.

Set in Los Angeles in 1962, A Single Man is the story of George Falconer, a British college professor (Colin Firth) who is struggling to find meaning in his life after the death of his long-time partner, Jim (Matthew Goode). The entire film is spans one day in George's life where a series of encounters, ultimately leads him to decide if there is a meaning to life after Jim. George is consoled by his closest friend, Charley (Julianne Moore), a 48-year-old beauty, and is stalked by one of his students, Kenny (Nicholas Hoult).

Tom Ford about his direction with the film and not wanting it to be pigeon-holed as a gay film:

“That’s the thing about my film—it’s the isolation we all feel and the universal need to connect with others.”
“I like chocolate cake. Do I define my life by the fact that I like chocolate cake?” he queries. “For me, that’s what sexuality is. I didn’t think of making a movie with gay characters.”

“I want to make sure that people don’t think this is a gay film, because it is a universal film,” he says. “We all go through the same things in life—romance, grief, isolation, trying to come to an understanding of what life is about. I wouldn’t want someone not to see it, thinking, Oh, that’s a gay love story. That’s not the core of the film.” [source]

I am sooo excited about this film. Julianne Moore is a beast in period films (Far From Heaven, The Hours) and Colin Firth is a fantastic actor. I'm happy that Ford consciously decided not to make this a typical gay film. Ang Lee's treatment of Brokeback Mountain was so effective because he depicted a love story, not just a gay love story. Of course this film is generating Oscar buzz but even if it doesn't rake in gold, it looks as if it will be a great movie.

No comments: