Monday, September 21, 2009

The Daily Tea: No Child's Play

When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.
1 Corinthians 13:11

***
As I get older, my tastes change. I guess that's only natural.
Trips to night spots to seek inebriation have been replaced by quiet dinners at home with friends and laughter over games of Taboo. Loud and thumping techno bass lines have been replaced by smooth live music and soft piano tunes in lounges.
I'll always love pop and fashion for the fantasy elements, but with the knowledge that they are in fact a fantasy.
The quest for cute suitors and love interests has been replaced by an urgency to maintain great friendships. Memories of laughter last longer than memories of kisses.
I've also learned that solitude is a friend, not a foe.
The notion of "cool" has been redefined. I fall asleep while watching movies with the girls. I sip wine and celebrate anniversaries with the boys. Growth has trumped the subject of romantic conquests. I've had the same friends for about ten years. And the other friends that I value, I seem to have known for years even if it's only been one solid year.
If you stop growing, you die. Growing doesn't mean less fun. It means that fun takes on a new shape.

2 comments:

The CPA Doc said...

SMH in agreeance....

The Architect said...

Simply smiling in agreeance...