Friday, September 4, 2009

The Daily Tea: Honesty

If you search for tenderness
it isn't hard to find.
You can have the love you need to live.
But if you look for truthfulness
You might just as well be blind.
It always seems to be so hard to give.

...But I don't want some pretty face
to tell me pretty lies.
All I want is someone to believe.

Honesty is such a lonely word.
Everyone is so untrue.
Honesty is hardly ever heard.
And mostly what I need from you.

Billy Joel, Honesty (1978)

***
These lyrics come from a 1978 Billy Joel song that Beyoncé covered as a bonus track on her I Am...Sasha Fierce album. I'm not too crazy about her version but I love the song. It's easy to find people that make promises and talk good game. It's easy to run across associates to have fun with and laugh with on a surface level. It's next to impossible to find people one can actually put trust in and believe that it won't be compromised. I try not to become a cynic but at times it seems that no one is true to anyone. The world would be better if we all were more honest. Don't say what people want to hear. Say what they need to hear.

No comments: