Friday, September 12, 2008

Smile...

"Smile"

As hard as it may be to believe, that has been hard for me to do lately. I am always smiling externally, but the inside hasn't been very reflective of that. I don't know if it's my mid20s crisis or what but I have been in a slump for a while now.

Life just isn't where I want it to be. It's that conflicted sense of being blessed yet there should be more.

When I bought Janelle Monae's album, I came across this song. The words are really something I need. I later found out it's a Nat King Cole song that peaked at #10 on the 1954 Billboard Chart. The words are simple. They echo the old church saying- "weeping may endure for the night, but joy cometh in the morning."

Smile though your heart is aching
Smile even though it’s breaking
When there are clouds in the sky, you’ll get by
If you smile through your fear and sorrow
Smile and maybe tomorrow
You’ll see the sun come shining through for you
Light up your face with gladness
Hide every trace of sadness
Although a tear may be ever so near
That’s the time you must keep on trying
Smile, what’s the use of crying?
You’ll find that life is still worthwhile
If you just smile

Click here to DOWNLOAD/LISTEN to Janelle Monae's version.



1 comment:

singer/songwriter/fly-guy said...

i ditto that. very well said, i guess we are truly bff's.

but Tony Bennett's version would crush Janelles. :-)