Monday, September 8, 2008

I'll Never Be Picture Perfect

"I'm not becoming expectations/I'm not her and never will be/Two girls going in different directions/Striving towards the same galaxy/Let my star light shine on my own now/I'm no sister, I'm just my God given name."

Those words are from God Given Name, Solange's intro to her new album.

It couldn't be more evident that she is not Beyoncé. Solange curses, sings about one night stands and smoking weed, and couldn't deliver a robotic interview to save her life. That's what's refreshing about her. She even released a song recorded over the track for Kanye West's "Everything I Am" in which she voices her grievances about an industry that is hell-bent on boxing her in. "I'll never be picture perfect Beyoncé..." she sings in the opening line, borrowing a line from Kanye. Listen to the remix below.

Click here to DOWNLOAD/LISTEN to the song "God Given Name"

Click here to DOWNLOAD/LISTEN to the song "F*** the Industry (Signed Sincerely)" feat. Wale

Beyoncé is rumored to be filming the video for her first single within the next couple of weeks. The song, reportedly titled "I'm Just a Boy", should be released by the end of September or beginning of October. In the mean time, listen to her teaser track below. "Beautiful Nightmare" leaked this summer and is reminiscent of Michael Jackson's Off the Wall era- think Billie Jean.

Click here to DOWNLOAD/LISTEN to Beyoncé "Beautiful Nightmare"

Be sure to catch both of the girls performing on Fashion Rocks this coming Tuesday night, September 9th. I love them

No comments: